Sunday, April 1, 2012

Kids Say the Darnedest Things

Do you remember the show Kids Say the Darnedest Things with Bill Cosby? It was a family favorite when I was young. My brother and I weren't allowed to call the show by its full title, though. We called it "Kids Say" because darnedest was a "shortcut swear word." ;) Anyway, I'm here to tell you that kids do say the darnedest things. I am a nanny for three preschoolers. I should know. They entertain me daily with their funny words and phrases. I have to share a few of my favorites with you. So far only Hubby has had the pleasure of hearing me quote my little munchkins. The twins, a boy and girl, are 5. Their brother, H, just turned 4. The girl is a little brown haired beauty. She loves singing, dancing, and being the center of attention. To say she has a flair for the dramatic would be an understatement. ;) Her twin is a little smarty-pants. His math skills and piano playing are impressive! Plus, he's super organized. I've never seen a kid's room as immaculate as his! Then there is H. Oh, H. He's all boy. Basically, he loves anything loud, dirty, and rough.
Twin Girl has picked up the phrase "dang it" recently. The other day we were coloring a picture together and she accidentally used the wrong color. She said, "Oh dane it!" I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty cute. I haven't corrected her because I don't think I should teach her the correct form of her "shortcut swear." Twin Boy has the most adorable speech impediment. I work with him on correct pronunciation, but part of me hopes he'll keep speaking the way he does. Honestly, it's cute. L's are tricky for him, so words like girls and pills become gews and pews. H is constantly asking "what's this" questions or telling me something that he knows. "Guess what Befany..." I hear those three loud, high-pitched words a lot!
"Befany, we can't watch that movie. It's chouched." Translation: Bethany, we can't watch that movie because it has fingerprints and has been scratched. Thank you for your wisdom, H. He is a big fan of "up sleeve" shirts and shorts. You may know them as short sleeve shirts or T shirts. I'm pretty sure he would go out in a blizzard in shorts and "up sleeves" if I let him.
What funny words and phrases do the little people in your life throw at you?

4 comments:

  1. LOL...oh, another family where the shortcut swears were as lethal as the real deal. Glad to know I'm not alone in my childhood :) I already blogged about the 4 year old telling I nanny for telling her parents not to cry over their recently deceased dog because in 3 days they'd roll away the stone and he'd rise from the dead. But the newest addition to this story is her middle-of-the-night revelation that they should name their potential future dog "Tomorrow" because, as she reasoned, "My name is Annie, and the song says, 'Tomorrow, Tomorrow, we love you, Tomorrow!!!'" Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Derek was a kid his extended family surprised them at Christmas with a family Florida vacation package (grandma/grandpa, aunts/uncles and cousins all got to go to Disney together). His cousin said (and this is on video tape), we get to stay in a condom! (translation - we get to stay in a condo!). hehe.

    ReplyDelete